Thursday, March 4, 2010

DOE Update: New Title Christened + Music

Just thought I'd pass on the good word that my film DOE ("Day of Embers") has officially been re-titled "Cereal for Dinner."

This was a decision made based on the following:
a.) "Day of Embers" sounds like a post-apocalyptic epic thriller, whilst my film is about two kids, a sprinkler, and a lawnmower that happens to catch fire. It doesn't need the fanfare.

b.) I wanted a title that tied into the childhood theme and that meshed with the message; I was having dinner with Ryan and my producer, Josh, when I started talking about my family (which is what the script was based on) and the fact that we were so chaotic and odd that we used to eat cereal for dinner frequently. A lightbulb appeared over each of our heads, and the title was born.
In addition to re-vamping the title, I have been trying to rework the edit to make it shorter and more engaging. Unfortunately, I can't do any sound design until the edit has been finalized, and it desperately needs it better sound. In some ways I feel this is hindering the actual editing process, but I have no choice but to cut what I can as is.

One thing I have been trying to do to help with the flow is to incorporate some music beforehand to get a feel of where I want it and how it can be utilized to affect the emotions portrayed onscreen. Ryan has put together one main theme to use throughout to represent the kids; it has a very bittersweet, ethereal, summer sound. I am also experimenting with some other songs he's created before that are more fast paced (see original trailer) to hype the energy up for the scenes with the parents arguing and lawnmower climax.

Check out Ryan's new track (and other music) here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin