Monday, March 8, 2010

I'd Like to Thank the Academy....for Snubbing Avatar

Staying true to my word, I will be tuning in next year (as if I could ever kill that habit) as Avatar did not completely ruin my Oscar experience. Cameron's snarky face was an eyesore, but I got through the show, and was happy to see his ex-wife bring in the awards for Best Pic and Best Director (a milestone for all female filmmakers everywhere!......even though I didn't get a chance to see her film yet.)

Still, it wasn't as rewarding as the Oscar days of yore. Perhaps I was just easily amused back then, but I feel like the awards were so much more entertaining as a kid. At least I got to spend the night with a bunch of other wise-cracking friends who made the experience much more tolerable. (You can read about my musings here. For here, I'll keep it constructive for the filmies.)

I won't say much, since the internet is being bombarded by people's opinions on the Oscars (and most of them are the same). I WILL say that the one good thing about being disillusioned by the drama surrounding the awards is it makes me realize that winning an Oscar doesn't have to be the only way to prove one's worth in filmmaking. I always believed this was the case; but in reality, the world is not so black and white, and there are many great artists who are never rewarded for their work, or never gain the recognition that comes from winning a coveted Oscar.

If you've got a loyal audience, and most of all a loyal conscience, then you can feel certain that what you've created is indeed a magnificent creation.

Of course, an Oscar wouldn't be so bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin